How will 941 Camino Del Mar fit in with the character of the Camino Del Mar experience?
941 Camino Del Mar will result in a significant improvement to the southern entrance to the Village of Del Mar by adding vitality to a site that is currently a vacant lot. With its mix of residential and commercial uses, this mixed-use project will provide a harmonious transition between the surrounding commercial and residential uses. In conjunction with the City’s beautiful new Civic Center, 941 Camino Del Mar offers the opportunity to revitalize and activate the southern gateway to the Village.
How will the residential suites be rented? Can someone rent their unit independent of the onsite management?
All rentals will be handled through an on-site professional hospitality management staff. This provides a greater level of control and management to ensure that occupants abide by rules and regulations that govern the project. Independent rentals by individual owners will not be permitted.
Why are short-term rentals appropriate on this site?
941 Camino Del Mar is located in a commercial zone where hotel, commercial, and office uses are permitted. The project’s professional management will serve to avoid negative impacts associated with short-term rental uses in other areas of the City while helping to resolve demand for short-term rentals in Del Mar in an appropriate location.
Will the public have any access to the property?
Commercial uses fronting the street will be open to the public and include an open patio at the corner of Camino Del Mar and 10th Street. Commercial uses include a setback along the Camino Del Mar street frontage to allow for a new walkable, revitalized pedestrian experience. Streetscape improvements include enhanced sidewalks, trees, and street furniture, fulfilling a vision for a revitalized and inviting public space.
Why do you need flexible uses?
Market dynamics change often and, just like other buildings in the Village, specific uses need to respond to market demand. To finally eliminate this blighted corner, a plan that responds to market demands has the ability to bring a new active interface to Camino Del Mar.
What are the benefits to the City?
941 Camino Del Mar provides a number of significant benefits for the City. It will:
- Activate the southern end of Camino Del Mar with a new casual destination cafe.
- Redevelop a blighted site that has burdened the community for years.
- Construct streetscape improvements that have been approved by the City, including enhanced sidewalks, landscaping and installation of street furniture.
- Provide two built units of affordable housing.
- Underground utilities adjacent to the site.
- Substantially increase real estate property tax revenues, provide new TOT income to the City, and provide additional patrons for all Del Mar businesses.
- Contribute funds to offsite projects that are community priorities, including additional streetscape improvements, the Del Mar Shores Park Master Plan Project, community shuttle service, public art, and Safe Railroad Crossing/Coastal Rail Trail.